Market Umbrella is an independent nonprofit 501(c)(3), based in New Orleans, whose mission is to cultivate the power of farmers markets to drive economic and community health in the region. Market Umbrella has operated the Crescent City Farmers Markets (CCFM) since 1995.
Thursday Market is operating within its regular hours of 3pm to 7 pm to accommodate the return of Daylight Saving.
Position Title: Communications Coordinator
Position Type: Part time, 20 hours per week
Salary range: Minimum $20 per hour starting pay
Market Umbrella is a 27-year-old community non-profit that operates the Crescent City Farmers Markets, provides community education related to nutrition and healthy eating, and offers a robust array of fresh food access programs. Our work supports Southeast Louisiana foodways and culture, serves as a small business incubator and supporter of the local economy, and provides food access programs to help all New Orleanians have greater access to fresh, local foods. The Crescent City Farmers Market operates three weekly farmers markets in the New Orleans area, hosting over 70 local small farmers, fishers, and food producers, and more than 100,000 shoppers annually. In addition, Market Umbrella offers a weekly home delivery produce box, a variety of SNAP education and nutrition education programs, and several food access programs including Market Mommas Club and Market Match, and launched the statewide Market Match program, Greaux the Good in 2022.
General Position Description:
The Communications Coordinator is a part-time staff member responsible for managing the public-facing communications of Market Umbrella and supports internal communications to that end. The Communications Coordinator reports to the Director of Development & Communications.
Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
90% Provide Communications support for the organization
- Compile and write weekly Morsel newsletter and other additional communications as needed, (e.g. home delivery box inserts, press releases, etc.). Ensure collateral is sent out in an efficient and timely manner.
- Serves as administrator for the organization's email marketing software account.
- Spearhead social media development and posting schedule.
- Assist in development and implementation of annual organizational marketing plan and annual report with the Development & Communications Director.
- Organize and maintain the organization's photo library.
- Regularly visit markets to take photos of in-market activity for the organization’s photo library.
- Spearhead the design development of promotional materials such as social media content, posters, flyers, etc. using Canva or similar design software
- Provide support to the Development & Communications Director for fundraising event coordination and execution, including merchandise design and promotion
- Manage inventory of promotional materials, spearhead the design and sales forecasting of these materials.
- Generate reports on social media engagement, website traffic, and other communications metrics.
- Proofreading, copy editing, and designing organizational documents.
- Recruit/onboard and manage communications interns/projects
10% Other duties as assigned
At least two years relevant work experience in communications/marketing, or other related field preferred
Strong sense of accountability for work
Self directed, self starter, with the ability to work independently and effectively set project priorities
Self starter, effective at task switching and meeting deadlines for multiple projects
Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills
Demonstrated efficacy in a professional communications role
Proficient with Constant Contact, Instagram, Facebook, Canva
Familiarity with Salesforce database a plus
Basic HTML programming language experience a plus
Experienced with working with a wide variety of people in a professional context
Spanish and/or Vietnamese language proficiency is a plus
Proof of COVID-19 vaccination required
Writing sample and design sample required
We actively encourage a diversity of applicants to apply. Market Umbrella provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, national origin, or veteran status.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
The Crescent City Farmers Market operates weekly year-round throughout New Orleans. The CCFM hosts 70+ local small farmers, fishers, and food producers, and more than 150,000 shoppers annually.