Market Umbrella is an independent nonprofit 501(c)(3), based in New Orleans, whose mission is to cultivate the power of farmers markets to drive economic and community health in the region. Market Umbrella has operated the Crescent City Farmers Markets (CCFM) since 1995.
Harvest Salad from Southern Living
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- 1 small shallot, minced (about 2 Tbsp.)
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 ½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, divided
- ⅓ cup plus 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 (1 ½-lb.) kabocha squash, seeded and cut into 2-inch-long x ¾-inch-wide wedges
- 1 pound fresh Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 2 bunches Lacinato kale, stemmed and chopped (about 12 cups)
- 1 medium Honeycrisp apple, thinly sliced (about 1 ½ cups)
- ½ cup toasted pecans, chopped
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, shaved (about ½ cup)
Preheat oven to 450°F. Whisk together orange juice, shallot, vinegar, maple syrup, mustard, 1 ½ teaspoons of the salt, and ¼ teaspoon of the pepper in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in ⅓ cup of the olive oil until liquid is smooth and combined. Set aside.
Toss together squash, Brussels sprouts, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, and 2 tablespoons olive oil on a large rimmed baking sheet until combined. Roast in preheated oven until tender and browned, about 20 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through cook time.
Using your hands, massage kale and ¼ cup vinaigrette in a large bowl until kale softens, 1 minute. Add apple and roasted vegetables; toss to combine. Transfer to a platter. Sprinkle with pecans and Parmesan. Drizzle with remaining vinaigrette.
The Crescent City Farmers Market operates weekly year-round throughout New Orleans. The CCFM hosts 70+ local small farmers, fishers, and food producers, and more than 150,000 shoppers annually.